All insurance companies operate under conditional contracts. This means that policy owners are responsible, in part, for loss recovery. In other words, if you have an insurance policy and suffer a loss, you must:
1. Notify the insurance carrier as soon as possible after a loss has occurred.
2. Protect the property from further damage by making repairs to prevent further damage.
3. List personal items damaged, including descriptions, actual value, and replacement cost.
4. Be prepared to show an insurance company representative the claimed damage.
5. Complete a statement for the insurance company, explaining circumstances surrounding the loss.